Courtesy of Jon Leger, here is an outline of an SEO Tactic he shared recently at one of his search engine optimization seminars. It’s a really easy strategy that should be in the top 5 of your tactics. Any web design company should be sharing this with their clients. We for sure will be telling some of our local clients in Los Angeles about it because it is so simple to implement.
Leaving contextual comments on other people’s blogs is a very solid SEO technique to boost your search engine rankings because of all the links from the comments pointing back to your web site. This process is one of the premier tactics in acquiring backlinks. If you do this the right way, you can really maximize the impact this has on your search engine rankings.
1. Make a priority list of your top 5-10 targeted keyword terms. Each keyword can be used to find related blogs to leave comments on. So the more keywords you have, the more blogs you will be able to find. This of course leads to the catch-22 which is the more you find, the more you have to do. So keep in mind that as John Candy said in Volunteers, Time is Money and Money is power. use your time wisely and you make the most money.
2. Start looking for blogs that come up in Google for each keyword. The point is that if a blog is already highly ranked in Google for your keyword, then you will want to leave a comment on that blog too because a link back to your site from a “ranked blog” is extremely valuable.
3. If you have a “concrete fence” website and are looking to rank high for the term “concrete fence”, then find blogs that are already ranking for “concrete fence”. the top 10 results are sufficient for each keyword because the further down the list of the results the less valuable a link will be.
4. Consider as well where you link from and where you link to. When you place the comment, make sure to put on the same page that came up in the Google listing. by showing up on that ranked page, you get some of their Google Juice passed along to your site too. It’s called semantic linking and is at the heart of successful backlink strategies.
5. Use Google Blog Search directly to find the sites: http://blogsearch.google.com and then offer the sites:
– A link exchange arrangement.
– Purchase a text link (ie. advertising)
– Offer them an article or press release to publish on their sites.
– Leave a blog comment.
6. When you link to your site, you should link either to your home page or directly to an internal page on your site that is specifically related to the keyword you are targeting. this means that the TITLE TAG of the page should have the KEYWORD in the title.
7. To do this continuously, search daily and set the search parameters to show only the results published in the last 12 or 24 hours. To do it weekly, set the search parameters to show only results from the “Past Week”. There are also a few “Stay up to date on these results:” options provided by Google at the bottom of the results list.